Subject: Re: [Leica] Canine issue update - good news [very long]
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 21:51:54 -0700 (PDT)

Dan Cardish wrote:

As far as I'm concerned, a mean dog reflects its owner, regardless of
breed (of dog).

That's the truth! I agree totally with Dan: the worst thing about a bad
dog is usually its owner.

As an erstwhile keeper and breeder of Staffordshire Bull Terriers, I am
aware that any dog that doesn't suffer from congenital mental problems
(a runt) can be socialized successfully within the first few months of
its life. It needs to be handled kindly but firmly and to meet many
different people, so that it can learn to accept the presence of
strangers in a calm and confident manner. Early socialization and
training is very important; later remedial action is hard work and may
not be successful.

On the other hand, a dog that is not adequately socialized and/or has
been abused early in its life, will tend to be suspicious, even
frightened, of other creatures. If it feels threatened, it will defend
itself.

The breed is of lesser importance than the training, although certain
breeds are known for their tendency to be highly-strung or one man
dogs, and can be difficult with strangers. A dog that snarls at
children is a worry, especially if the dog has been adopted and its
history is not well known. A snarl is the preparation for attack: the
teeth are bared for biting and the muscles become rigid for protection.
Whether or not an attack will ensue depends on many things but, if you
don't know the dog well enough to be sure, it's best to err on the side
of caution and get rid of it!

Regards,

=====
Ray