Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: NOW...M6 piece of cake.
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 07:01:34 -0700

Julian Koplen wrote:
>>>I have tried all the simple things mentioned, especially Ted's technique.
use mostly Fuji Superia 400 and 800 films.  I continue to be plagued by a
slight downward curve in the film leader, about two inches from its
beginning.  This causes the upper edge of the leader to get caught just
beneath the upper edge of the camera's shutter gate, so that the film will
not slip all the way in when I put on the baseplate.

Oftentimes it catches one of the shutter curtains when I attempt to wind on.
I then have to reopen the camera and fumble and struggle with the leader to
lift it out of the shutter path (without damaging the shutter), so that it
can be reloaded.  I have thought of carrying one of those white plastic
collar stays, just for the purpose of slipping it under the film and lifting
out of the shutter's path.

Anyhoo, it's that slight reverse film curve located almost in the center of
the shutter gate that I can't control.  Everytime I try KISS, with minimal
fiddling, that is what defeats me.  If I ensure that the sprocket holes are
properly lined up before I close the camera, then it is no longer the KISS
operation that several of you find so easy.

How do you keep that little reverse film curvature from catching under the
top edge of the shutter gate?

Feeling dumb..............Julian<<<<

Julian lad,
No need to feel dumb many of us have gone through various film hang-ups over
the years and the curvature comes with some films and not others.

A couple things.

When you see this bulge take the film between thumb and fore finger of both
hands and slightly put pressure to reverse the bulge and at the same time
roll the little bulge back and forth and it'll flatten out.

But take care not to put too much pressure as you'll fold the film and that
wont help any.
Damn this is hard to explain,  :-(   much easier to show. ;-)

Then flattened, it only takes a moment, I load in the normal fashion.

Maybe you aren't getting the film deep enough into the chamber to clear the
film gate opening as I can't re-call a time when the film hung up on the
shutter curtain. In other words, the leader should be far enough through to
the take up spool for the full width of film, sprocket to sprocket, covering
the shutter curtain area.

But there isn't any question I can see how the bulge can effect your

I just loaded a roll of Fuji film to see what was happening when you load.
The same little inward bulge was there, it occurs just at the point where
the film comes out of the canister. So doing the roll back and forth with
film in fingers as explained above works, just did it again on another roll.

Heck you might even consider using another film manufacturer that doesn't
come with the inward bulge, However I vaguely re-call a post sometime ago
where film bulge was discussed so maybe others out there have a different
answer.

ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant