Subject: [Leica] Re: NOW...M6 piece of cake.
From: souljer@mac.com
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 02:44:21 -0700

I agree with Ted Grant, it should be easy.

The only thing I do differently is I put the film cassette in before I
pull the leader out further. Once the cassette is going in the camera
straighten the film so it follows the slot between the back of the
camera body and the shutter box. (I find this is much easier to do than
pulling the film out then trying to thread a long piece into the
camera). I then pull the film across the camera and into the take up
reel (tulip), until it matches the diagram. Then I proceed as Mr. Grant
has already written, pushing the film and cassette down etc. Same with
advancing from -2 to 0 as I'm tightening up the slack. (This may sound
kinda goofy here, but it all sorta happens at the same time, so it is
easy.)

The only fiddling I ever need to do (sometimes) is rotating the rewind
knob a little if the fork doesn't line up with the slots in the
cassette. No big deal. I don't worry about sprockets. Only with matching
the diagram. Usually the back door doesn't even need to be opened.
Everyone does it slightly different I'm sure. Maybe it's easier after a
nice cup of green tea, who knows? But if it's not easy and rather quick,
you may be making it a bigger deal than it is.

And I really have done this with gloves on in the dark. But not while
walking backwards. Wouldn't want to drop the camera base plate.

Gunnar
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit
there. - Will Rogers