Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V22 #271
From: "Aram Langhans" <langhans@yakima-wa.com>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 18:54:48 -0700

> Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 11:48:36 -0500
> From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] How does the Leica R8 calculate exposure in matrix
metering mode?
> ......not meaning to be facetious here, but somebody please help me
> understand all these different metering modes that are available on
> state-of-the-art modern cameras.
>
> As I understand it, for example, you make an exposure, let's say 250th at
> f8.0. What confuses me with so many different internal metering modes, how
> does any of those different modes improve upon 250th at f8.0?? I am
grateful
> for any explanation.
>
> sl
> - --

Well, they don't really improve on 250th at f8.0.  They just improve the
camera's ability to determine that a 250th at f8.0 is the correct exposure.
They are less fooled by tricky lighting situations with areas of shadows and
highlights.  My understanding is that they take all those independent zone
readings and compare them to databases built into the camera to determine
the exposure more reliably.  They are not as easily fooled by a very bright
spot or a very dark spot because only one of the zones senses that, where an
averaging meter will be influenced by those areas.  The matrix meter can
say, ok, so there is one really hot spot out there, but I know the rest of
the image will be fairly evenly lit so I'll just ignore that one hot
reading.

Then again, I could be all wrong.  My R8 seems to be very good at metering,
however.

Aram