Subject: Re: [Leica] How does the Leica R8 calculate exposure in matrix metering mode?
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 11:48:36 -0500

>> (esp. for slide film) in matrix metering mode and isn't fooled by
>> backlighting like the Canon and Nikon systems. To what extent is that true
>> and how does the R8's matrix metering system differ mathematically from
> that
>> of Nikon's and Canon's? It would be rather fascinating to know that the R8
>> has 5 zones of exposure measurement relative to Canon's 30-something and
>> still the former scores better. Hmm...?<<<<
>
> Ted writes:
>
> Naw B.D. you should've just told him the truth, that the R8 actually  has 60
> metering zones for all aspects of lighting and various subject matter under
> severe and not so severe light and content situations.  However, Leica do
> not want people to know that, 60 zones. Because it creates really awkward
> conversation to explain how it works better than the other guy's does. So
> Leica just tell folks it uses 5 zones as that keeps down the question level
> . :-)
>
> And without question keeps the metering system accuracy under wraps.
>
> But we who use the R8 know it has this wonderful system that works because
> we use the camera regularly and don't give a flying hoop how or why it
> works, as long as it works.
>
> ted
>
> Ted Grant Photography Limited
> www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant

......not meaning to be facetious here, but somebody please help me
understand all these different metering modes that are available on
state-of-the-art modern cameras.

As I understand it, for example, you make an exposure, let's say 250th at
f8.0. What confuses me with so many different internal metering modes, how
does any of those different modes improve upon 250th at f8.0?? I am grateful
for any explanation.

sl

Replies: Reply from "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com> (Re: [Leica] How does the Leica R8 calculate exposure in matrix metering mode?)