Subject: Re: [Leica] How does the Leica R8 calculate exposure in matrix metering mode?
From: Douglas Herr<telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 09:16:21 -0700

> somebody please help me understand all these
> different metering modes that are available on
> state-of-the-art modern cameras.
>
> As I understand it, for example, you make an
> exposure, let's say 250th at f8.0. What
> confuses me with so many different internal
> metering modes, how does any of those different
> modes improve upon 250th at f8.0?? I am grateful
> for any explanation.

Matrix metering compares the light/dark patterns in the various regions of the picture with a data bank of similar patterns stored in its memory, and sets exposure to make your picture look most like one of its stored patterns.  It's deciding how important the highlight and shadow detail is.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com