Subject: Re: [Leica] 12-16 Cyl Engines (very OT)
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 13:26:48 -0700

At 11:44 AM -0700 5/23/02, Joseph Codispoti wrote:
>  > Pretty much all the diesel locomotives you see are V16s...the majority of
>>   those from General Motors are fitted with either the 645 or 710 model
>>   diesel...number represents cubic inches.  Per cylinder!  The newest units
>>   from General Electric ring in at 15.7 liters/cylinder...
>

>I recall reading that Bugatti was contracted to build locomotives. He used
>4-V8 auto engines to power them.
>A railway had to be built to deliver the locomotives from the Bugatti
>factory to the railroad.
>
>Bugatti's Type 32, the Royale (Type 41), and the Atlantic Coupé (Type 57S)
>had the 16-cylinder engine.
>
>In 1998 ItalDesign produced a "Bugatti" EB 118, 18-cylinder engine under
>contract for Volkswagen. displacement was small (6+ liter) but the HP was
>over 500.
>

>Joe
>

>--

Some new sports cars in the super-high horsepower and even higher
money bracket:

Mercedes CLK-GTR: 6.9l V12/612hp (~$1,000,000)
Ferrari F60: V12/650hp (~$500,000)
Mercedes SLR: V8/560hp (~400,000)
Porsche Carrera GT: 5.5l V10/558hp (~300,000)
Bugatti EB 16.4: 8l W16/1000hp (~1,000,000) - this one will
supposedly actually be produced, with delivery starting fall 2003.
Ugly but fast.
Ford GT40: 5.4l V8/500hp
VW Nardo: 6l W12/600hp (~$500,000)

Also a new proposal for a BMW mid engine coupé with a V10/550hp as
possible successor to the Z8

Most of these are to be built in very small series with delivery
starting in the next two years. Most seem on track to be built, if
the economy holds. The Mercedes SLR is the only one with even a
remote chance of being available as a road car in N.A. We'll get the
BMW V10 in the next M5 over here.

Aston Martin and Jaguar have some slightly lower power cars in the
works that look interesting, and will be available here. Lamborghini
will have a new V10/500hp 'cheaper' model.

In sedans, Bugatti (VW) has a W16 engine and the Maybach (Mercedes)
has a V12. VW has their D1 luxury car with W8, W12 and maybe W16
engines. The W8 made its debut in the Passat recently.

The 'W' engines are all component engines from the Volkswagen engine
department, and are related to the narrow angle VR6's that they have
been producing for the last couple of years.

The W12 will also be available in the VW Touareg SUV, which starts
life with a V6, and may have a name change since North African names
aren't as popular in the US anymore since 9/11.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com