Subject: [Leica] 12-16 Cyl Engines
From: "Joseph Codispoti" <joecodi@clearsightusa.com>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 11:44:19 -0700

> Pretty much all the diesel locomotives you see are V16s...the majority of
>  those from General Motors are fitted with either the 645 or 710 model
>  diesel...number represents cubic inches.  Per cylinder!  The newest units
>  from General Electric ring in at 15.7 liters/cylinder...

I recall reading that Bugatti was contracted to build locomotives. He used
4-V8 auto engines to power them.
A railway had to be built to deliver the locomotives from the Bugatti
factory to the railroad.

Bugatti's Type 32, the Royale (Type 41), and the Atlantic Coupé (Type 57S)
had the 16-cylinder engine.

In 1998 ItalDesign produced a "Bugatti" EB 118, 18-cylinder engine under
contract for Volkswagen. displacement was small (6+ liter) but the HP was
over 500.

Joe

Replies: Reply from Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com> (Re: [Leica] 12-16 Cyl Engines (very OT))