Subject: Re: [Leica] Are screw Leicas usable?
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 10:34:26 -0400

The bottom line on this one - and here I pull on my flame retardant suit -
is that the old screw mount cameras can be fun to play with, and are
certainly serious interest to collectors - and collectors who use them -
but despite what certain people say and believe, they are cranky and
awkward to use compared to any "modern" rangefinder, starting with at least
the Contax II and III series, and certainly the M3.

I know there will be those who will accuse me of snobbism or some such
nonsense, saying that all they can afford to get into Leicas is the screw
mounts, and what's wrong with that? To which I say, nothing. BUT....if you
are serious about photography, as opposed to being serious about simply
saying 'I own a Leica,' you are better off purchasing a Bessa R2 for the
same money, and equipping it with Cosina screw mount lenses, which are far
better optically than the old Leica screw mounts. And, if your response is
to say that the Bessa is too noisy, etc. etc., that you don't need or want
flash sync, that the Bessa isn't 'solid enough for you,' then go buy a
Leica screwmount body and put Cosina glass on it. If what you are
interested in is the quality of your photographs.

If, on the other hand, you want to play HCB circa 1952, if you want that
old "Leica glow" - which some of us call optical aberrations - go for it
and have fun.

B. D.