Subject: [Leica] How to replace foam in R4?
From: Julie Leung <rareflower@canada.com>
Date: 22 May 2002 11:35:52 -0700

Hi everyone,

I inherited an R4 from my father and have been thoroughly enjoying it until just recently, when I found light leak in my most recently developed negs.

I did some reading on the web (including the LUG archives) and am pretty sure it is due to the foam around my green window deteriorating.

I've contacted Kindermann Canada to ask if they have foam replacements, seeing that some people have been able to get them for free.  Someone also mentioned Leica Service in NJ being able to supply those.  Does anyone have a contact number or email for them in NJ?

The primary purpose of this email, however, it to ask you all how I can go about replacing the foam?  I've read that some people have used lens cleaner to remove the old foam.  I also remember reading some do's and don'ts regarding solvents to use (but I can't find the link again!).

The store in Calgary (where I live) that has my R4 right now wants just under $100 CDN for the seals and the labour.  I think I can do it for MUCH cheaper myself.

If anyone can offer help, I'd appreciate it!

Thank you
Julie Leung
(rareflower@canada.com)