Subject: [Leica] Re: Update to the Hexar/Leica back focus test
From: "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 08:15:00 -0500

Paul:

>I tightened up my procedures and picked a section of the neg closer to
>infinity to examine.  Lo and behold - there's just no dang difference.
>
>http://www.chefurka.com/Misc/BackFocus.html

I'm not interested in disputing your results.  I really don't care if there
is a difference.  Many people in real life seem to get great performance
with the Hexar + Leica lenses.  Only way to know for sure is to try it for
yourself.

I would dispute your conclusion that this closes the case.  There are too
many variables.  It could be that your rangefinder or rangefinders are
slightly out of alignment.  Could be that your way of focusing favors the
Hexar slightly.  Could also be that the Hexar is superior and your focusing
favors the Leica, making them both look similar.  :)

That's my main objection to a "test" like this.  If it's not scientific, it
doesn't really answer anything for other people.  Only for the tester.
Everybody's technique is slightly different.

If they look fine on the light table, I wouldn't worry about trying to
measure something that's so hard to measure.  :)

Eric

Replies: Reply from Paul Chefurka <paul@chefurka.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Update to the Hexar/Leica back focus test)
Message from "geebeespaw" <geebeespaw@btopenworld.com> (Re: [Leica] Try again)
Message from Paul Chefurka <paul@chefurka.com> ([Leica] Update to the Hexar/Leica back focus test)