Subject: Re: [Leica] Asking permission, KISS & the decisive moment
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 06:57:33 -0400

No flame from me, Howard...

First off, the phrase "decisive moment" is grossly overused. Decisive in
what way? And why is one moment decisive above all? Life is made up of
millions of decisive moments.

I do most of my "candid" photography in and of situations where people
have either granted me permission to shoot, or paid me to be there
shooting. But being granted permission to shoot - or being paid to do so
- - doesn't have to mean asking 'may I take your photo?' to then have the
subject turn and grin into the lens, or return to what they were doing
waiting for you to capture them at their best. When, for instance, I
spend a day with a family, the people I am photographing very quickly
get passed the fact that I am there and return to living their lives -
and then I start shooting. Does my presence effect their behavior? I
know there are those who will tell you it does - but I would suggest the
resulting images would suggest it does not.

As you note, Aaron really 'got it.' If any of his photos had been posted
by a LUG member saying 'look what I got by shooting through a hole in my
briefcase when I was in Stbcks,' no one would have challenged the
assertion that the photos were taken that way - except for the fact that
they are too well focused and too many are well framed to have been shot
with a truly 'hidden camera.'

I would suggest that if we are to talk about 'decisive moments' what we
are really talking about is capturing visually significant moments,
moments when the personal and the visually worthwhile are combined.
Sure, some may capture these moments without asking the permission of
the subject - without the subject even realizing their is a camera
present, but others may be paid by someone to capture them - the
subject, an editor, etc.

I realize that not everyone is going to agree with this view, but it's
mine...and I'm sticking to it. ;-)

B. D.