Subject: [Leica] Question re: Early R8
From: David Young <youngs@islandnet.com>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 07:41:26 -0700

I was recently blessed by my insurance company with an nice, shiny new R8.

Though new, it was from the first production (apparently, the store had it
in stock for some time!) with a serial number 2299922XX.  This is the
series reputed to be most susceptible to static problems.

I've heard that when Leica (or their importers) receive an R8 for any
reason, they quietly upgrade the innards to the latest static protection.

When I had owned it less than 2 weeks, the Domke strap that was holding it
off the floor failed and my nice, shiny new R8 was not so nice and shiny
after it hit the pavement!

I received it back from the Canadian importers yesterday and their n/c
invoice showed that in addition to the obvious parts, they installed 6
"cover disc"s (part LS 410-55.001.028). Can anyone here tell me what these
are?  Might they be static protectors?

I am curious (David).

David Young        | Experience gained varies directly
Victoria, CANADA   | with equipment ruined.