Subject: [Leica] Mac/digital darkroom question
From: Simon Stevens <simon@camera-craftsman.com>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 22:25:47 -0400

Hi everyone!

I've been gone a while doing my law school exams.  I just finished the
last for the year with the exception of the "write on" competition.

Now that I finally have a life again, I plan to pick up my camera.  I
also want to begin work on setting up a digital darkroom in the next
year or so.  First on the list is a new computer to replace my ancient
200mz Pentium 1.  My goal will be scanning and printing photos, web
browsing and office work.  So nothing that heavy except for some large
files.

Knowing that there are several mac users here who understand what I will
want to do, I'd appreciate any input, and off list would be fine.  After
much going back and forth, I think I have decided to get a Powermac to
go with my new (refurbished) LaCie 21" monitor.

 Now that Apple is phasing out the current models, they have introduced
soem nice rebates.  But this has complicated my decision.

1.  I can get an edu 733 for about $100 less than the discounted 800.
It's peanuts difference, but will I see any difference in speed? Or
should I just put that $100 toward my eventual film scanner?

2.  How much ram do I need for my purposes in OS-X?  Would I see any
significant difference between 700 mb and 1200 mb?

3.  Big question: Am I making a mistake jumping on the rebate, or should
I wait for the new models (whatever they end up being)?  Waiting to mid
August would be a pain, but I don't want to be stuck with a clunker.

4.  Can I get by with the Gimp?  Or will I have to bite the bullet and
get Photoshop?  At education prices, the difference is $25.00 v. $299. I
think I'm going to get an Epson 2450 to begin with that will have
Elements.  But I'd miss curves.

I'm sure I will have more questions, but this should do for now.  Also,
if I have asked anything that has been the subject of a recent thread, I
apologize.  To say the least, I have been incommunicado for a while!

Simon Stevens