Subject: RE: [Leica] photograph of the LUG computer
From: Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 09:23:33 -0700

> Brian.... you have T1 in your HOUSE?

Yes, I have a T1 in my house. It is an FCC-tariff T1, which means that I had to sign an agreement not to use it for voice service. Data circuits are priced as two "local loops" and an interoffice mileage charge. I own the copper between my house and my CO, so the telco actually pays me for the use of it instead of vice versa. The interoffice mileage between my CO and the Palo Alto Internet Exchange is very low. The circuit costs me about $250/month and it is the dominant cost of operating my server complex, given that I make the server computers out of spare parts and factory overruns. If you know enough about the economics of the Internet industry to know that there is supposed to be a
transit charge in addition to a circuit charge, I can only say that I have a personal arrangement for the transit that does not cost me very much money. The other end of my T1 is inside the PAIX, where there are about 120 ISPs competing for my business and attention.