Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: PAW wk 19/sl
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 14:29:14 -0400

While I almost always agree with Ted on photo issues, I've got to disagree
on this one. Given that the light was theoretically the same where the
photographer was shooting and where the couple was sitting, I'd have gone
for a reflective reading off my hand, and opened up a 1/2 stop to a stop. My
problem with the photo is that it is much too flat. I realize that this is a
technically correct exposure, and probably comes close to presenting an
accurate view of what the eye might have seen - but there are times when
what the eye sees is flat and uninteresting because the overall light is so
flat and low. I looked at the photo and thought, 'okay, that's the inside of
a bar: so what?' But I would guess that had the photo been based on a
reflective reading, there would have been much more light on the couple's
face, much more contrast between highlights and shadows, and the couple
would have drawn much more of my attention - causing me to think, 'Gee, I
wonder who they are and what's going on.' The same photo, with much more
contrast - which would have been obtained with a reflective reading, would,
in my opinion - based on my personal taste - have been far more interesting
to look at.

B. D.
NOT picking on Steve, just trying to discuss photography. :-)