Subject: RE: [Leica] LTM vs. M
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 11:53:34 -0400

Andrew - There is no question that LTM's are wonderfully transportable,
solid, and quiet. And, as you point out, the Cosina lenses are excellent
modern lenses - in many cases as good or even slightly better than all but
the latest aspheric M mount Leica lenses.

But the real question is what you want to do with your Leica or Leicas, and
whether photographic technology obsolete since the late 1950s suits your
needs and method of shooting. How much of a pain would or do you find always
having to deal with the separate rangefinder and viewfinder? Are you
bothered by the slow film rewind process, and slow film advance process?
Does the loading method slow you down or bother you? Are you bothered by the
expense of having to have separate viewfinders for all but your 50 mm lens?
Are you slowed down by changing thread mount lenses? If the answer to any of
these questions is "yes," and "yes" to a degree that interferes with
achieving your personal photographic vision, then you would probably benefit
from going with an M camera.

If the answer to all those questions is "no," then stick with the LTMs. They
are repairable. There are repair people with part supplies. And they are
wonderful vintage cameras. And they are relatively inexpensive.

B. D.