Subject: [Leica] An M7 glitch report
From: Paul Chefurka <paul@chefurka.com>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 13:32:53 -0400

I just spent a week shooting a fair bit with my new M7, and I had an
intermittent problem that  happened about four times over the week.

Each time the problem scenario was the same:

The camera was set to Auto mode.  The camera was turned on, and several
minutes had elapsed between frames.  When I lifted the camera to my eye, in
place of the shutter speed display at the bottom of the frame, I saw a
blinking "6C".  The shutter button was locked and the camera could not be
fired.  I cycled the on/off switch, and when the electronics rebooted the
condition had cleared, and the camera would operate properly.

This is obviously an electronics problem, and the "6C" is likely a
hexadecimal  error code that would by known to the technicians.  I'll be
sending it back, obviously, but I thought I'd ask if anyone else had seen
this glitch.

I do understand that there are teething problems with new systems, and as
an early adopter I accept that I'm at greater risk of encountering them.  I
will admit to a little disappointment, though, that the very system that
adds the new functionality to this camera is the one that is showing
problems.

Paul