Subject: Re: [Leica] R8 and Metz54MZ3 with SCA3502 adapter
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 12:59:10 -0400

- --On Wednesday, May 08, 2002 12:34:24 PM -0400 Gwpics@aol.com wrote:

> I have finally gotten my SCA adapter for the flash and I must confess
> that I am confused by the settings. The way I read it is that if I set
> the camera to 'A', 'P' or 'T' and the gun to 'TTL' then the gun will look
> after itself. Is tis correct, and don't I need to set the camera to 'F'?

Correct, but you should look at the section of the R8 manual where the
behavior of each mode with TTL flash is described, as they are not
identical.

For example, in Program mode, if the meter senses enough light for an
available-light exposure the program assumes you want fill-flash and
reduces the flash exposure by, I think, 1 2/3 stops. If you really *want*
full flash exposure, you would have to use one of the other modes.

In another mode, I think A, the shutter speed is locked to 1/250 (I don't
have my manual handy :-)).

I usually use M mode even when using TTL flash as it allows the best
control over foreground/background ratio with the least hassle. Remember
that if you want the flash at minus 1 or 1 1/2 EV, you dial that
compensation in on the SCA adapter.

- --
Rolfe Tessem
rolfe@ldp.com