Subject: Re: [Leica] Doing your own color
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Mon, 06 May 2002 13:35:01 -0400

- --On Monday, May 6, 2002 9:48 AM -0700 Adam Bridge
<abridge@idea-processing.com> wrote:

> On 5/6/02 Tina Manley  wrote:
>
>> I'm using the roll-film adapter on the LS-4000 to do rough proofing very
>> quickly.  It's certainly good enough to determine which photos you want
>> to  print - the way I used to use contact sheets but much faster and
>> easier.
>
> This is my plan - although I sure wish they would release an OS X driver
> for this puppy.
>
> I've read that the JOBO processors aren't good to use with traditional
> B&W film because they blow the highlights due to too much agitation. Is
> this the case or is this a bad rap? Almost certainly I'll be running in
> XTOL and shooting Tri-X or the fast Delta films when I do B&W. I could
> use the C41 B&W, of course, but my experience with them has been a lack
> of contrast and when I'm shooting B&W it's all about contrast.

This is a complete crock -- where did you read that?

Like any development method, times may need to be adjusted from the
starting point. However, I've found that with almost every B&W film I've
tried in my Jobo, the 5-minute prewet just about exactly offsets the effect
of the continuous agitiation. Or, to put it another way, if you use a
5-minute prewet, you can use the times published for small-tank,
intermittent agitation and be very, very close.

And if you need further evidence, look no further than John Sexton, a
confirmed Jobo user.

FWIW, I use the ATL-1000 which is the earlier version of the current
ATL-1500. The differences are pretty minor and ATL-1000s can often be found
used for around $1000. It needs a tempered water supply, but once reels and
chemicals are loaded, you just push a button, walk away, and come back when
it beeps. These models have six bottles, so you can do the 6-step E6
process if that suits you. Even the older ATL-1000 has programs built in
for the E6 6 and 3-step processs, normal and 1 and 2 stop push, C-41 2 step
and 3 step along with pushes, etc. The C-41 2-step using Tetenal chemicals
is dirt-simple -- easier even than B&W.

- --
Rolfe Tessem
rolfe@ldp.com