Subject: [Leica] M7 at a Bris
From: "Robert Rose" <RJR@usip.com>
Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 19:01:42 -0700

I was asked to take pictures last weekend at a relative's Bris, which is
the Jewish rite of circumcision.  (I made sure the mohel was okay with
my taking pictures, and assuring him there would be no flash.)

The M7 was quiet enough that no one was disturbed, and the mohel said
he didn't even hear the camera.  While the mohel was talking I even used
the motor, on speed 1.

I tried a few pictures on auto exposure mode, then switched to manual
mode.  The presence of a large white table cloth, men in black suits,
and the mohel in a white tallit gave constantly varying exposures that
were about one-half to one stop underexposed.

The best images were those for which I metered and shot as if I were
using my M6.

I still don't regret purchasing the M7 for a moment; the quiet shutter
was very much appreciated here.  I am just going to reserve auto
exposure mode for times when it is appropriate, or dial in compensation
when I see tricky scenes.  You still have to know your equipment.

Bob Rose

Replies: Reply from Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch> (Re: [Leica] M7 at a Bris)
Reply from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] M7 at a Bris)