Subject: Re: [Leica] Ansel Adams Anecdote
From: Darrell Jennings <darrell_jennings@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 16:17:11 -0700 (PDT)

I was fortunate to attend the Ansel Adams workshop in
Yosemite in 1978.  He had some of the greatest
photographers in the world teaching, and he taught as
well...every day. At his age and level of prestige he
could have simply made an appearance and put his name
on the workshop, but that was not his style.

I found out about the workshop by calling him at home
at his listed phone number.  His wife Virginia
answered and was happy to send me information on the
workshop.  When I was in Yosemite I discovered that he
was often called at home by photographers that were
having trouble printing an image.  He'd take the calls
and try to be helpful.  He was a true gentleman, and
very passionate about his art.

He was so successful in his later years that some see
his work as a cliche, but I suspect if you had never
seen one of his prints on a $10 poster, and simply
encountered the real thing in an art gallery you would
be astounded.

He contributed a lot to the art of photography, not
only by getting it accepted as art, but also by a
thousand chance encounters where he was helpful to
young enthusiastic photographers learning their craft.

Oddly, my first encounter with Leica was at the
workshop.  One of the instructors was in the middle of
teaching an outdoor session and had to pause for a
moment to rush over and take a few shots of someone
passing by. She was never seen that week without at
least two Leica M's around her neck, even when
teaching at a workshop thought of as big format.  I
was impressed with her then, and never forgot how
quickly Mary Ellen Mark could react with those
Leica's.  I remembered it 22 years later when I bought
mine.DJ