Subject: Re : [Leica] London photo scene
From: "Bernard Degaute" <bernard.degaute@skynet.be>
Date: Sat, 4 May 2002 08:58:08 +0200

>This time I picked up my M7 from RG
>Lewis on Southhampton Row, and with the VAT refund I saved 900 CHF
>compared to buying it here in Switzerland. The camera is wonderful, I
>immediately shot a roll of Provia and had it processed, and everything
>works fine. The only thing is the stupid battery cover, I managed to
>dislodge it after the 3rd frame. I hope that one of our creative
>tinkerers here will come up with a solution. In the meantime, perhaps
>the solution is--dare I say it?--black tape... But overall, this is a
>great Leica. It is so libarating to shoot street photos with the
>aperture priority mode. The shutter release is wonderfully smooth but
>not too smooth--I can use the exposure lock without any problems even
>though I immediately mounted Tom's Soft Release on the camera (as well
>as hid Rapidgrip, which fits perfectly).
>
>London has an incredibly vibrant photography scene, and so I have made
>it a habit to go the airport newsstand immediately upon landing and buy
>the latest issue of AP, flip to the last page and check in the "What's
>On" section for interesting exhibits. I am rarely disappointed. This
>morning I saw one in the crypt of the St.Martin's-In-The-Fields church,
>landscape photography accompanied by poems. Not great, but OK. However,
>on the way from there to Picadilly I saw a poster advertising an
>exhibition at Canada House on Trafalgar Square, and that one is a gem!
>It is an exhibit called "The Mennonites" by Larry Towell, who visited a
>group of Canadian Mennonites in Mexico and later in Ontario, earned
>their trust, and produced a wonderful document of their life. I have no
>idea what equipment he uses, but this is great stuff. The exhibition is
>free, and it runs until May 31. A must for anyone visiting London during
>this month.
>
>Nathan

- - --
Nathan,

Nice to see you appreciate your new toy (same for me :-) )
The exhibtion about Mennonites is wondefull - very interresting subject (I
saw such an exhibition in Charleroi a few years ago by another young
photographer - I don't remenber her name). According to a documentary on
ARTE a few monthes ago Larry Towell was using M6 .

Bernard

bernard.degaute@skynet.be