Subject: [Leica] RE:One of many Hebrew names for God - and someone would do well to keep his religious views off this list
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 18:30:36 -0400

- -----Original Message-----
From: owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
[mailto:owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us]On Behalf Of Duane
Birkey
Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2002 12:46 AM
To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: [Leica] Emanuel is one of many Hebrew names for God

Emanuel is one of many Hebrew names for God...  And rather stupidly, I never
imagined that Emanuel Lowi might be Jewish...  which now makes more sense as
it explains why ...his comments, beliefs and
theology are similar to BD and others who I have conversed with off line in
the past.
- -------

I have to say, and really don't care who I piss off about it at this point,
but I find this comment both bigoted and stupid.

Why would you assume, Duane, that Emanuel Lowi and I make similar "comments"
or have "similar beliefs and theologies" because we are Jewish? Do you know
ANYTHING about our backgrounds, religious beliefs or education, or education
in general. Is our being Jewish something genetic? Or do you make these
assumptions because we have been cast into darkness because we don't share
your view of the "savior." Those are the only two possibilities I can think
of. Because I don't know anything about Emanuel other than what I have read
on the LUG and have learned through some off-line non-religious
conversations (all of which have been delightful :-) But I do know that the
ONLY religious training of any kind I ever received was forced down my
adolescent throat during my five years at an Episcopal boarding school where
I had to take "religion" as a course each year, and was forced to attend
(high church) Episcopal services once each year - except for Sundays, when
we went twice. In fact, I probably would have become an Episcopal - as an
adolescent I enjoyed the mysticism, the ceremony, and the music of the
services - had it not finally dawned on me that I really did not want to
belong to a club in which I was regularly called a kike because my by-then
long-dead grandparents were practicing Jews.

My mother was an agnostic whose parents were Jewish; my father was an
atheist -who abhorred all organized religion - whose parents were Jewish;
and I , like the psychiatrist in the book and movie Gentlemen's Agreement,
will continue to say that I am Jewish as long as there are anti-Semites.

And by the way, Duane, I would never be so stupid or bigoted to assume that
everyone who is a called Christian shares his or her theologies and beliefs
with every other Christian. It's sure obvious, for example, that very few
"Christians" practice what Jesus preached. ;-)