Subject: [Leica] Re: Kodak changes Tri-X and Plus-X emulsions -- Why?
From: Allan Wafkowski <allan@sohogurus.net>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 17:16:10 -0400

The news is old news, but you're timely in that it needs to be updated.
When we last spoke about this, it was only an announcement by Kodak, but
Kodak has now produced new developing charts for use with the revised
films.

I don't want to sound paranoid, but I don't think Kodak is telling us
the whole story. They have stated that the only change taking place is
that the new films will have better anti-static properties, and they
have pridefully mentioned their new state-of-the-art film manufacturing
plant as if it proved a renewed commitment to B&W. I don't think the
developing times would change if the emulsions had not changed. Kodak
has been dropping B&W films like pigeons drop feces on statues. The
state-of-the-art manufacturing plant sounds like a last ditch effort to
keep B&W materials profitable rather than a renewed commitment to B&W.
That's okay with me. If they can't make a profit on B&W they will drop
the materials, leaving us with even fewer choices.

I do not at all like T-Max films.

Allan