Subject: Re: [Leica] Shintaro
From: Javier Perez <summarex@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 00:56:14 -0700 (PDT)

Stephen
From your comments it looks like you haven't read my
post. I linked to his sample html showing a chrome top
painted black, not a brass top painted black. I also
read the faq and it doesn't ryme with his sample.
Furtermore, the wear patterns are not indicative of
heavy use. Now you tell me that he does that
intentionally. I just heard from someone else that he
takes it everywhere. If everything I say is incorrect
then his sample pic is also incorrect. Perhaps yopu
should contact him and tell him to change it because
it creates the wrong impression.
I have also owned black nikons and can tell you that
the paint wears much faster than it does on Leicas, At
least on my old black SL. The reason you may have
confused yourself into thinking that Leicas wear
faster is the enormous amount of paint area on an M
compared to an F2. Also, the Plates on the Nikons are
made of a softer brass than the Ms or SLs which makes
them more forgiving with impact induced paint removal
given a semi flexible finish, required for a softer
surface or a more deflection prone surface. There are
also fewer sharp edges with greater bend radii on the
F2 and fewer inches linear edge on both the F and F2.

Then of course there is the issue of resistence to
chemical degradation both through ageing and external
attack. I honestly don't know how well they resist
acids, and solvents, with respect to each other but
both do well and have stood the test of time sort of.
Can the same be said for the repaints??? Who knows
unless you have intentionally scratched one or spilled
toulene based thinner on it or perhaps?
Has anyone tried digging their nail into one of these
tops and sliding it?
Javier