Subject: Re: [Leica] Ricoh GR1
From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1904 06:16:44 +0100

I was very disappointed with the GR1. I used it as a trouser, shirt
and jacket pocket camera, and ever so often it was activated in the
pocket, and the lens moved out into the position where it is ready to
take a picture. The button for that is  on the back of the camera,
and I had a cover glued on to the camera to cover the button, but it
did not always help. In the extended position the front lens is
unprotected, and still worse the whole telescopic work that holds the
lens is subject to pressures from different directions. The result
was that the lens jammed and did not want to go  back into the
resting position. This cost about $ 100 to get fixed, and the second
time it happened to me I gave the camera away to somebody on this
list who said he was going to try to fix it himself.

The lens is very good, there is the usual lag for focusing which is
otherwise accurate, and it is possible to prefocus (not manually) and
keep the distance set until the camera is turned off (if I remember
correctly). I used this facility for all street shooting as otherwise
the picture was lost. I think automatic flash has to be turned off,
again every time the camera is switched on, not every time a picture
is taken, if you do not like flash. I do not like flash.

But it looks nice.....

Chris