Subject: Re: [Leica] haiku
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 08:17:03 -0800

>My favourite:
>Here is the stone
>    Drenched with rain
>        That shows the way
>Basho, I think. Another particularly poignant poem from Narrow Road
>describes a horse pissing next to his blanket in a stable. You can feel the
>pungent steam rising from the straw.
>-- Rob

Yes, the horse piss poem is quite nice, just reread it yesterday (it also
includes fleas and a louse).

This whole thread has sent me back to the books, and I spent the latter
part of last evening reading Basho's "Back Roads to Far Towns." I've also
taken out the Blyth anthologies I mentioned yesterday and will get to them
in the coming days, now that the school year is ending and a long-term
project has just been completed, and some reading time will be becoming
available...

There is much, it seems to me, in common between the vision of the haiku
poet, who tries to seize some fragment of truth in an epiphany-like moment,
and the "decisive moment" philosophy as expounded by HCB.

Guy