Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 16 - Zurich's ritual end of winter
From: Michael Gerard <geeman1066@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 23:00:04 -0500

Nathan,
    What an interesting festival.  I
particularly like the name of the snowman--the
Boogg.  How does one pronounce it?  What does
the word mean?
    I think that the main and the first and
second alternates all could use some cropping.
It seems to me that the Boogg should occupy a
more significant place in the photo.  Might you
be able to cut the tree on the right?  There's a
nice break in the crowd there as well.  In your
first alternate shot, I think that the kids and
the lightpole could be most all of the picture.
In the second alternate, I think you could cut
the distracting scaffolding in the upper right
corner of the photo.
    Of the face shots, I like the fourth and
fifth alternates.  The break in the crowd forms
a nice diagonal in the former, and the halo of
light around the sausage seller's head is nice
in the fifth alternate.  However, the sign on
his stand really breaks the fifth picture into
two halves in a way that is disconcerting to
me.  I couldn't figure out to crop to put the
picture in better balance.
    Thanks for sharing the details of this
festival with us.  I think it is a great idea.
Growing up as a New Englander, I think that all
northern climes should have such a festival
Regards,
Michael Gerard
geeman1066@earthlink.net

Replies: Reply from Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch> (Re: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 16 - Zurich's ritual end of winter)