Subject: RE: [Leica] steven gandy's coventry proposal
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@idea-processing.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 14:40:36 -0700

On 4/28/02 Tim Atherton  wrote:

>WOW - this is in the greatest and richest nation in the world? Doesn't the
>state pay for education? Ordinary schools depend on charity. I think we'd do
>more good plotting to overthrow the government.
>
>tim

It's typical that the state does NOT pay for education - education is typically
funded very close to the schools - mostly by property taxes.

In California it's different since the days of Prop 13 which resulted in the
state funding the schools through funding passed back by the state - with lots
of strings.

Thus local conditions impose restrictions on individual school systems and there
can be vast differences between schools which are only a few miles apart based
upon the socio-economic makeup of the communities or upon the desire of some
communities to shoulder the tax burden required to operate the schools well.

In California the schools are very poor. I live in a district that still has
music and art as a part of the curriculum K through 12. That's incredibly rare
in this state. But it takes a parcel-tax to make this happen or districts that
are wealthy - say Palo Alto.

Adam Bridge

Replies: Reply from "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com> (Re: [Leica] really off topic funding schools)