Subject: RE: Vs: [Leica] Digital vs Film
From: David Rodgers <davrod@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 10:48:20 -0700

Aram,

Long article in Scientific American, published a couple of years back on
the subject of archival nature of digital, made your very point. Yes we can
save everything in TIFF or JPEG format. But, I have a meaninful bitmap file
on a 5.25 inch floppy. You never know which way the digital wind will blow
over time. Some photographs sure can gain value and meaning with time.

Way back in 1994 (seems like only yesterday) I had to give a presentation
to a group of accountants about this new phenomenon known as the World Wide
Web. I wanted to do a live presentation, but didn't trust the connection I
had, and it took too long for pages to load over a 14K modem anyway.
Several nights before the presentation I surfed the web and photographed --
using my M6 and DR Summiron -- the pages I wanted. I was able to frame
surprisingly well. I put the slides in an Extragraphic projector and the
presentation went off without a hitch.

I still have those slides, about 100 in all. I looked at them the other day
and they were a hoot! I'd almost forgotton that old "Yahoo look". I'd also
done a search on the word "accounting" on Yahoo, the premier search engine
of the day. Guess how many hits I got?  Just over 300! To me that's a page
in history. And I've got it on film!

Dave