Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica and Leafscan
From: David Rodgers <davrod@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 12:14:53 -0700

Austin,

Many thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try immediately.

Your comments, made on the LUG several years ago, had me searching for a
used Leafscan. They're not easy to come by. The results are impressive,
though. I wanted a 45 but settled for the 35. Quality and functionality of
the 35 reminds me of my Focomat 1c. If Leica made a scanner, I'm sure it
would be something along the lines of the Leafscan.

Very nice the way a good scanner and printer can keep the "grain effect"
even with faster and finer grained films like D400. My Coolscan  did a poor
job on maintaining grain, except for N1600. Printing digital output from my
Canon G2 is a lot like printing chromogenic b/w prints conventionally. The
grain, or lack thereof, makes for a different look.

Dave

BTW, in order to get things up and operational I traded an extra Compaq for
a late model Mac G3. I gave up trying to get a GPIB card for my Intel
machines. The Mac came with Photo Elements which can only handle 8 bit
images. The Leaf plug in works as long as you don't select the 16 bit
option. I just scan using the Mac and then FTP the images over to my Win2K
machines. Everything's networked. Not a bad workflow, really. It's nice
having a Mac, too.