Subject: RE: [Leica] alaska...
From: "telyt@earthlink.net" <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 11:27:52 -0400

Steve Barbour <kididdoc@cox.net> wrote:

> making plans for an Alaskan trip/cruise...
> Cruisewest/Prince Edward Sound... I wonder if others could comment about
> photography in this setting......possibly  their  own experiences,  and
> the need for  long lenses (focal length)  and best  film choices...   ?

Steve, I spent 6 summers in the Alaskan interior, and made more than a few trips through the inside passage (on the state ferry).  The light is fantastic!  Low angles much of the day and little air pollution to mess with the colors.

There can be a wide variation in weather.  Be prepared for ANYTHING.  Not as hot as AZ in the summer nor as cold and stormy as Chicago in the winter but it can be darned close to either.  From the ship you'll likely be working hand-held because the benefits of a tripod will be lost due to mechanical vibrations.  There isn't much wildlife close enough to the ship for photography aside from the occasional whale or porpoise, but on land I found the 400 useful for lots of critters.

Films?  I used ISO 64 (guess which one) and 200 films.  If you want to use anythign slower than 64 you'll have the camera on the tripod 99% of the time.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

http://mail2web.com/ .