Subject: RE: [Leica] Couple R8 questions
From: "telyt@earthlink.net" <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 15:30:06 -0400

Victor Wek <photvictor@hotmail.com> wrote:

> 1) Which lenses are consider to be the best or must have in R line? From
> LUG I know we can include 100/2.8 APO macro on it. Any other? I think, the
> best will be a lens which has relatively new design and does not improve
> much when stopped down.
>
> 2) Which screen will be the best for focusing long lenses like 100,
> 180mm..? R8 comes with universal screen. Can ground glass screen be better
> for tele or macro work?
>
> 3) Generally, what ground glass is use for?

Victor, it's more a matter of what lenses you'll find useful.  Any of the recent APO lenses are capable of optical performance that few of us can take advantage of.

I prefer using the "ground glass" area of the viewscreen with long or macro lenses, and I feel that the split-image aid in the universal screen gets in the way more often than not.  I had the split-image viewscreen in my SL2 replaced with the microprism screen.  If I were still using an R body it would be the R8 with the grid viewscreen.  The grid provides a reference point for focussing by contrast, which is how I focus on the ground glass.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

http://mail2web.com/ .