Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Ansel Adams on PBS TV
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 11:45:09 -0700

B.D.  wrote:
> > admiration for AA as a photo technician and "inventor," and very
> > little regard for him as a "photographer." His development of the
> > Zone System and his abilities as a manipulator of light, in the field
> > and in the darkroom, were great technical achievements. That said,
> > however, I find his photography sterile incredibly predictable.<<

Hi B.D.
I said something like that some years ago and was nearly beaten with tripods
and monopods for uttering such blasphemy of  the great AA.

I think one of his talents was to be able to sell his ZONE system so
effectively he probably made more money from that than from selling his
photographs.

Please, that isn't meant to be demeaning, just a possible fact he was a very
astute businessman. As well as a predictable photographer.
ted
- ---------

Jeff Moore noted: re. B.D.'s Comment:
>>> I'd hazard a guess that the category you describe above may have more
> members than you think;  you've done an excellent job of summing up
> my reaction to AA's contributions as well.<<<

I'm sure there are far more people with similar feelings than many wish to
acknowledge  for fear of being ripped over the coals of hell! :-) No matter
how true it is.

I would bet if one could get him aside and in a good mood, one could get a
chuckle out of him when he acknowledged we're right... but he'd never admit
it in public. :-)

Heck I sure wouldn't if I were him. :-) But I sure as heck would be smiling
all the way to the bank! ;-)
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant