Subject: RE: Re: [Leica] Re: [OT] Color darkroom worth it?
From: George Hartzell <hartzell@kestrel.alerce.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 09:22:12 -0700

telyt@earthlink.net writes:
 > olivier nguyen <oliviertnguyen@hotmail.com> wrote:
 > > [...]
 > > beside all of these spend, it probably not good print comeout due to
 > > limitation of computer technology and too much of variation factor between
 > > computer software, computer hardware, computer monitor, printer, scanner
 > > and camera.
 >
 > [...] he can tell you what he
 > thinks of the prints. [...]

I can tell you that Doug's prints are *great*.  I'm biased, since I
think that the content is so cool too, but...  It's been fun to see
them evolve over time as he's been perfecting his craft.

I think that that's a real lesson about much of this digital stuff.
There are lots of opportunities for gear-ism and spending $$$$, and
some of that gear can make a difference (e.g. drum scan on a dense
transparency).  But, digital printing is NOT an easy, push button
undertaking and the computer doesn't come anywhere close to doing it
all for you.

It's still the skill, taste, and perseverance of the printer that
determines the success of the print and makes it art.

g.