Subject: Re: [Leica] U.S. custom laws
From: "John R. Fulton Jr." <JRFjr@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 06:44:41 -0500

Hi Henry--
My experience has been this.....
They don't care about camera equipment if it looks used.
If all your stuff is A-1-mint/out of box then a visit to customs
would be worthwhile.  In addition you said you were traveling
extensively so that, too, would factor in.
Customs has a form that you fill out yourself while in the Customs
office. You write down the equipment and serial number.
Then the agent checks the list against the equipment, signs and seals
the paper and gives it back to you. That's all there is to it. It's
quick, but I'd recommend doing it ahead of time. That would give you
a chance to make a couple of copies of it to leave at home. You might
also want to pack a copy with you in addition to the original. While
abroad it might (?) be helpful to have that list with you as proof of
ownership.
I've never had to show the list anywhere, ever.
I don't have anything that looks new so it's never been much of an
issue anyway.
I hope this is helpful.
John Fulton
Fort Worth