Subject: Re: [Leica] Flowers And Lighting
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 20:46:51 -0400

G'day Mike.  If you are talking about sorta close photo's of flowers then
studio lights and a competent flash meter work great.  As another poster
mentioned the pictures work better if you use relatively soft light at
something close to 90 degrees to the flower.  To fill in the shadows a fill
card works well.  In situations where you can't pull  a Polaroid I would
make many exposures with very minor changes in main light position and or
changes in the placement of the fill.

If your desire is to take really close images, say from 1/4 to twice
life-size then there is nothing better than a TTL flash on a off camera
cord.  At those distances softening the flash is optional as the flash head
is much bigger than the subject(what a soft box does)  The easiest approach
is to set up the shot with the camera on a tripod, flash in one hand, cable
release in the other, and the fill card in your third hand.  You might find
some clamps and a variable arm a better choice than growing a third arm.
Again, move the flash to vary the lighting.  At these ranges move the flash
all over the place including behind the blossom.

If you have more questions please contact me.

Don
dorysrus@mindspirng.com