Subject: [Leica] Re: [OT] Color darkroom worth it?
From: "telyt@earthlink.net" <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 11:33:44 -0400

Magnessbill@aol.com wrote:

> I believe Jim is correct, nothing beats a good Ciba print-YET.
> But for me the advantages of running an image through Photoshop, and the
> very high quality of a good inkjet print, and the ease of printing with
> the computer.
<SNIP>

> To me, don't look back, move foward, master Photoshop and I believe soon a
> process will emerge that will surpass Cibas.

There are well-founded opinions on both sides of this question.  A number of advantages I see on the digital side are:

) the process is interruptible.  If a fight between the kids boils over into bloodshed or something on the stove requires IMMEDIATE attention I can stop what I'm doing in the "lightroom" w/o tossing out an hours' work.

) I can fix damaged slides/negs once and for all.  Dust & scratches are gone forever once you save the file.

) the degree of control over color and contrast is orders of magnitude greater than under an enlarger.  It's not only color balance, contrast and density, there's also the opportunity to alter the response curves much as one might by varying exposure and development with B&W film, except that it can be done with any one of the color channels or the image as a whole.

) the option of printing at home with an inkjet printer or printing on photographic paper at a lab with the appropriate machinery, such as LightJet, Fuji Frontier, ZBE Chromira.  One lab has been running Cibachrome in their LightJet.

I don't question Jim's skill at making knockout Cibachrome prints but IMHO the same degree of skill and training invested in the digital process has the potential for much better prints.  I sold my Cibachrome darkroom a few years ago and have not regretted it.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

http://mail2web.com/ .