Subject: [Leica] Re: Nat Geo & Amount of film.
From: "Sal DiMarco,Jr." <sdmp007@pressroom.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 08:28:19 -0400

LUGgers,
    While, a valid point can be made for  calling the National Geographic's
photography "eye candy," it does the photographer who shoot for them a
disservice and demeans their talent.
    As to memorable photos in the Geographic, off the top of my head and no
particular order...
1.- Bruce Dale's time exposure of a 747 landing.
2.- Jodi Cobb's Geisha's Lips
3.- Jim Stanfield's Vatican and Paris Essays.
4.- Bill Allard's Peruvian boy in tears after one of the family sheep was
killed by a car.
5.- Joe McNally's shot from the top of the Empire State building.
    Ted Grant made an excellent point about how much film is consumed on an
assignment.
    But for the unconvinced... A long time ago, and a forget exactly where,
I heard it, but if you translate each situation photographed as a specific
assignment,  a National Geographic photographer shoots about three rolls per
assignment. That's not really  outrageous.
Happy Snaps,
Sal DiMarco, Jr.
Philadelphia, PA
Web Site: http://members.fcc.net/sal.dimarcojr