Subject: Re: [Leica] Soft Release Blues
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 21:29:47 -0700

> > I love the Tom A. Soft Releases.  I have 4 of them, each a different color.
> > They really fell good on the camera, but......I'm getting more dead
> > batteries and pictures of the inside of my bag since I've been using them.
> > I'm using a Domke F-803.  A fairly tight fit.

John Collier says:
>Use an o ring! Attach it to the camera strap ring and slip it over the
>soft release so it fits between the soft release and the release collar.
>Voila, the shutter cannot be depressed.

I was thinking about this yesterday, as I just found a "store demo"
Billingham "small Hadley" bag for half price And Just Couldn't
Resist(tm).  The soft release tends to trip the shutter unless I put the
camera in just right.

Here are my Top Ten possible cheap, quick and dirty solutions, most of
which involve inserting some foreign object underneath the lower surface of
the soft release to block the shutter from tripping:

1.  Tie a loop in a thick rubber band.  Slip it over the soft release
before storing the bag.

2.  Go to the supermarket/corner store/boulanger.  Buy a loaf of bad,
non-nutritious white bread.  Make sure the bread has one of those flat
square plastic closures with a slotted hole in one side.  Using strong
scissors, wire cutters or other instrument of destruction, enlarge the slot
until it is big enough to just barely fit around the center portion of the
soft release with a little difficulty.  If it isn't thick enough, get two.

3.  Tie a yellow ribbon 'round the old soff-tee!

4.  If you're using a leather or plastic camera strap of appropriate
thickness, determine where the right side of the strap would naturally fall
on top of the release.  Cut a slit in the strap just long enough to fit the
release through.  Before stowing the camera, open the slit, slip it under
the release.

5. Cut a little strip of double-sided velcro just wide enough to block the
shutter.  One turn of material underneath the soft release does the trick,
and it locks on contact.  Pull the ends to open.

6.  Use the slotted end of one of those "slip the pointed end into the
slot" garbage bag ties (elongate the slot with appropriate cutting
instrument).  If anybody asks where you got them, tell them they are custom
made for you in Italy by Donatella Versace, and they are *very* expensive.

7. Convince Tom A. to make a deluxe model soft release.  It should have a
little mechanism on it that blocks the shutter from tripping when rotated a
certain way.  A rotatable lever with a right-angle bend and a rubber or
teflon tip ought to do the trick.

8.  Ask Dr. Blacktape(tm).

9.  What John said.

10.  Film is cheap.  Who cares?

I'm not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV.  There is no implication of
merchantability or fitness for any particular purpose in this post.  Your
milage may vary.  Don't blame me if you get klutzy and mess up your
Leica.  Do not use duct tape or any other sticky material.  Batteries not
included, because none of the proposed solutions involve batteries.

- --Peter Klein
Seattle, WA

Replies: Reply from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] Soft Release Blues)