Subject: Re: [Leica] Grebe chicks - OT
From: Jeffery Smith <jsmith45@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 16:52:19 -0500

The first thing I tell people who have orphaned birds is "DON'T FEED THEM
MILK", but invariably they have already done so. As omnivores, we eat about
anything, but birds don't have lactose in their diet. However, the bacteria
in their gut like it just fine, and produce large volumes of lactic acid
and gas from it. The chopped eggs you used was a smart idea...feed them
something from the Class Aves. Thanks for giving the little tykes a chance
at life. One of the faculty down here spends all of her salary (above
living expenses) treating orphaned squirrels, opossums, raccoons, and other
varmints. Her calling in life.

Jeffery Smith