Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Thought for the day: racist jokes on LUG
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@idea-processing.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 16:17:35 -0700

On 4/14/02 B. D. Colen  wrote:

>You perfer ethnicist, DonR? How about blatently anti-Arab? Or hatefully
>anti-Muslim? Do those work better for you? Are they closer to the mark? How
>about just plain "hateful?" Does that do it?

For a supposed "journalist" you seem incompetent with language. There wasn't
anything "hateful" about the joke.

I'd go with tasteless or even hurtful to an Arab or a Muslim but not "hateful."
Certainly it didn't qualify as "hate speech" and there's something broken
somewhere along the line if it is counted as such.

Now I'm sure that there are some guidelines somewhere - possibly in an MIT or
Harvard student manual - which might find a way to define it as "hate speech".
But we already know where free speech at academic institutions has gone over the
past 20 years.

I've heard enough hate speech, the real thing, to know the difference.

So if you are going to use that term you need to cite chapter and verse in order
to sustain it.

Adam Bridge