Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: The loss of any member is a loss for us all
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@ncable.net.au>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 09:47:10 +1000

>There are many different ways to run a mailing list. I have chosen
>in recent years to run this one by not trying very hard to steer
>topics or correct misbehavior. About once a month I feel the need to
>terminate a topic, and every couple of years I eject a person.
>Mostly I just let it simmer, like soup.
>
>Every online community will form a core group who are comfortable
>with the way that community is run. The fundamental lawlessness of
>the LUG has produced a core group who are a bit too much on the
>nasty and judgmental side, which therefore causes us to lose members
>who have a problem with nastiness and judgmentalism.
>
>There are plenty of online user groups for Leica people. I know of
>at least 3. I see no point in making the LUG be just like the
>others, and I believe that over the years the benefits of the
>lawlessness have outweighed the downsides.
>
>This habit of picking on Erwin is definitely a downside. I believe
>that if I were to run the LUG in a more-controlled fashion so that
>less of this happened, that some other parts would suffer.  I wish
>you all were better behaved, but I'm not willing to take the
>draconian measures necessary to force you to behave.

I have been fascinated by the online process. When I first joined
this group, I was more Australian in the way I posted, but I soon
understood that I was not being understood -- jibes I took as funny,
others took far too seriously. I also noted the Europeans were on a
slightly different plane to the North Americans.

I have not been on other groups to compare, but my experience has
taught me a lot about my self, my sense of humour and about the
sensitivity of others  -- where I would have not expected it. I would
agree with Brian, and also bow to his wider and wiser experience with
internet communities.

Cheers
- --
Alastair Firkin