Subject: Re: [Leica] No! No!, Erwin!
From: SthRosner@aol.com
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 09:57:23 EDT

In a message dated 4/13/02 2:22:24 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
abridge@idea-processing.com writes:

> People write things on this mailing list that they would NEVER say in
person.
>  They don't appear to realize the effect their words can have on others - or
>  perhaps since they don't have to deal with the consequences personally
they
> just
>  don't care. It's not just this list, it's common on virtually every
internet
>  forum I've encountered. People just cannot take a few moments to ponder
what
>  they write.

Adam has this exactly right, friends. I recollect commenting to this effect
not too long ago. It appears to be endemic to the medium. Internet
"distancing" seems to create a disconnect that puts in people's minds the
notion that they can write anything, however offensive, and not suffer the
consequences that would inevitably occur were they to say the same things in
person.

Could we not please make the LUG better than all those other lists where such
bad behavior exists? Let's consider what we are about to write in the context
of what we would say if the other person were actually present.

I mean, take a look at Marc and me! Would you believe that he wrote me
(off-list) to thank me for my acknowledgement of error a few weeks ago?

Seth          LaK 9