Subject: Re: [Leica] re: student discounts
From: Teresa299@aol.com
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 17:29:46 EDT

In a message dated 4/11/02 2:12:22 PM, rmonagha@post.cis.smu.edu writes:

<<
the bigger problem is that commercial photo courses have been dropped and
the darkrooms sold off from our local junior colleges, and our university
has closed all the open access darkrooms etc. Photography now means
digital cameras and photoshop, output on color laserprinters or epsons.
Leica won't get many sales from today's gadget oriented students IMHO... >>

Sorry to hear this is what's going on in your area.

In my neck of the woods (santa cruz CA), the photo dept at the local jc is
very full.  It seems that traditional photography is "cool" and getting into
classes, particularly ones dealing with portraiture or lighting are hard to
get into. (photoshop classes are popular too and one of the photoshop classes
is taught by a traditional photographer--ted orland who co-wrote art and fear)

As far as the university, the only people who can get into photo classes are
those in the art major--the classes are that popular.  There is one non-major
course that doesn't include darkroom space and that is slammed as well.
There is also a co-op photo lab that is always filled with members.

At least in this part of the Monterey Bay, also known as Silicon Beach
(referring to computer chips not fake breasts per se), there are a great
number of folks who undoubtably love traditional film/processing/enlarging as
much as, if not more, than digital.

If traditional student discounts were widely advertised or promoted, there
are a goodly number of well-off students (off-spring of the silicon valley
uber rich) who undoubtably would be able to take advantage of such discounts.

- -kim