Subject: [Leica] Re: PWIFLI: Whatchadoin'?
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 11:29:28 -0700 (PDT)

 Allan Wafkowski <allan@sohogurus.net>

>The little fellow is putting on a good show. It's a likable shot.

>You almost missed the focus. His bottom half is out of focus. It doesn't
>matter for the shot, but it illustrates how tricky focus can be with the
>90mm.

> http://www.2alpha.com/~pklein/currentpics/grackle.htm

Thanks, Alan.  He was about 4 - 4.5 feet away, and he was perched at an
angle to me.  Depth of field for a 90mm at f/2.8 at that distance is 1.2 -
1.4 inches.  I just aimed for the eye. Something was going to be out of
focus no matter what I did.  I wish the light had been better--it would
have showed his colors better and allowed more depth of field.  But he was
where he was.

Still, it was fun to play Doug Herr with only a 90!  :-)

- --Peter