Subject: [Leica] Re: Dumb mistake I couldn't have told anyone about before yesterday
From: Robert Marvin <marvbej@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 12:51:25 -0400

- --
Yesterday, in response to a comment I had made about using Novoflex
reflex housings, Marc mentioned that Novoflex might still make
"release bridges" to fit these antiques. I could not have (properly)
posted the following without knowing the name for the "thingie that
screws over the shutter  release and activates the Novoflex mirror
before tripping the shutter":

  I went out this morning  with my IIIf to take photos to use on  the
poster for my neighborhood's annual  house tour (Prospect Lefferts
Gardens, Brooklyn). I plan to use two shots--a horizontal of a long
row of brownstones, taken with a 15 mm. Heliar and  a vertical of a
row of brownstone cornices compressed together with a 200 mm f4.5
Telyt (necessitating said Novoflex reflex housing).

The first wide angle shots went fine (I set up the camera on a tripod
so I could use a level and avoid  most superwide distortion). The
only complication was shooting during the hours (9:30--11:00 AM) when
cars couldn't be parked on the north side of the street--never
thought I'd be thankful for N.Y.C. alternate side parking. I then set
up the 200 with the reflex housing and started snapping away at the
cornices. It took me about a half roll to realize that the mirror
wasn't blacking out--guess what I had forgotten to screw in between
my shutter release and the cable release! Those Novoflex reflex
housings sure don't work without the release bridge! I seldom use the
200 or the reflex housing--good thing I eventually noticed (and that
nobody was watching).

I'll post my shots in about a week(assuming they're not an
embarrassment), after I've printed them and scanned the prints--no
film scanner.

Bob Marvin