Subject: RE: [Leica] Why are professional labs unwilling to do pigment dye transfer and Cibachrome?
From: "telyt@earthlink.net" <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 11:47:54 -0400

Albert Wang <leica_phile@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I called up a few professional labs in the Philadelphia area to check out
> their options on color printing and found out there was no one who does
> either Pigment Dye Transfer or Cibachrome processing anymore. My question
> is why are these standard color processing technique dying out all over?
> Why has digital methods taken over? Can a digitally colored print
> approximate the quality of the pigment dye transfer or Cibachrome prints?
> Personally my gut feelings is that they are not.

Alfie, my experience is that a good digitally-processed print on Fuji Crystal Archive paper runs circles around a good Cibachrome.  The degree of control possible with the digital process is several orders of magnitude greater than with an analog process... and, once you've got a good print, you SAVE THE FILE: reprints are a breeze.

Crystal Archive prints are now considered more stable than Cibachrome.  Rather than trusting your gut feelings, why not try a digital print and see for yourself?

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

http://mail2web.com/ .