Subject: RE: [Leica] re: student discounts and college tuition
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 10:19:01 -0400

I think the fact that so many on this list assume that if college students
can afford to go to college they can afford a Leica says a great deal about
who is on this list, and how far removed they are from the "real world."

The overwhelming majority of college students in the U.S. go to public
universities and community colleges, and the overwhelming majority of
American college students carry student loans to get through. There was, in
fact, a wire story the other day pegging the average liberal art student's
debt at graduation at about $16K...

Yes, there are many students - particularly foreign students - driving
around in $30-70K cars, and wearing more on their back than I earn in a
week. But they are the very visible tiny minority.

The average student has to worry about whether his or her budget can deal
with an extra CD, to say nothing of buying a Leica....

B. D.